1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Your Random Thought

Discussion in 'General Community Discussion' started by MattyO, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Thunder98

Thunder98 Same shit, different day. Admin

It's an improvement.

2. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 Lt. Commish - SRD Pick-Em Series

[​IMG]

Have you had your coffee yet? No? Well, allow this horrifying incident in Texas to be all the wake-up juice you need.

Dallas resident Kathy Lanham was cruising down I-635 when an unsecured garbage can full of mulch came sailing at the windshield of her Honda CR-V. Her dash cam was rolling during the event, giving us a first-person view of a scene straight out of Final Destination.

Lanham saw the can coming straight for her and hoped it would miss her car, but wasn’t so lucky. She did manage to keep her cool, however, and that’s even better than being lucky.

She told WFAA she let the can strike her windshield rather than swerve into the metal pylons or concrete lane divider. Thanks to her quick thinking, Lanham and her car made it out mostly unscathed.

This crash could have ended much differently. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, there were 1,241 crashes caused by insecure loads in the state last year, and a scary 103 of those were fatal.

“You have to tie down your loads,” Lanham told WFAA. “It just takes a couple of seconds.”

Listen to Kathy, you jokers!

SOURCE: https://jalopnik.com/this-trash-can-flying-at-a-driver-on-the-freeway-is-the-1830881252

joeykraus19 likes this.
  3. sadlerfan21

sadlerfan21 Well-Known Member

Figured I'd put this here to keep the train of ugly GM cars rolling. If you are a hardcore Vette fan, look away now. The new C8.R was just running a night test at Sebring. Not only does this confirm the Vette will now be mid-engine, it will have a turbo six.

4. dacinch8

dacinch8 Don’t think about it ‘cause I’m already Winston

Ooooookay. The new Corvette C8 is a fuckin’ Acura now.

joeykraus19 likes this.
  5. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

Alright. Now to pretend I never saw that and that the C7 is the final generation.

Tetronix and nascarfan9 like this.
  6. ShadowKnight508

ShadowKnight508 Lt. Commish - SRD Pick-Em Series

When the next generation of animatronic robots from the Imagineers at Disney look like the cartoon has been brought to life...

[​IMG]

Disney’s Imagineers—the company’s term for the artists, designers, and engineers who create its theme park attractions—are about to revolutionize the art of turning the studio’s animated films into rides that bring visitors right into the movie. Tokyo Disneyland is in the process of building a Beauty and the Beast ride with animatronic characters that are like nothing we’ve ever seen before.

Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast will be a dark ride, where visitors sit in vehicles that carry them through a series of animated vignettes recreating scenes from the classic Disney animated film. The actual vehicles will be giant teacups that can navigate autonomously without the need for a track, allowing them to follow unique paths and even repetitively circle a room, which is a technology that has become incredibly popular in the company’s overseas theme parks. The Beauty and the Beast ride will even let visitors dance along with Belle and the Beast in the movie’s much-loved ballroom scene, which will undoubtedly be one of the ride’s highlights.

(See 1:08 to 2:00 in the video below)

The ride will also recreate the catchy “Be Our Guest” dinner table sequence (which is probably now stuck in your head), but it’s the animatronic characters that will be the most advanced part of the attraction. They’re designed to look and move exactly like the animated characters from the movie, and the fluidity demonstrated in this behind-the-scenes sneak peek from Disneyland Tokyo is absolutely astonishing.

Unlike the animatronics in attractions like the Hall of Presidents, which look like they’re robots doing their best impressions of humans, Belle looks like a cartoon come to life. Part of what makes this possible is the continued advancements in robotics that Disney’s own research division contributes to. But the Imagineers responsible for designing this ride were also able to work with some of the same animators who contributed to the original film back in 1991.

There doesn’t seem to be a firm date for when the Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast will open, but it’s yet another good reason to skip Florida for your next family vacation.

SOURCE: https://io9.gizmodo.com/tokyo-disneyland-is-getting-a-beauty-and-the-beast-ride-1830897206

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 5:02 AM
    nascarfan9 likes this.
  7. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

So I'm strongly thinking about quitting smoking. Not because it's expensive or anything, but because I'm tired of feeling like I have a rubber band around my chest in the mornings.
    Problem is... I actually still kinda enjoy a cigarette.

Any former smokers have any advice?

8. Cutch22

Cutch22 That Pittsburgh Fan

Well, as a child of two former(ish) smokers (my dad has picked it back up again, sort of), I would suggest you talking to your doctor about it. A lot of different ways to go about it, and some things that worked for say my mom, may not work for others. My mom, who quit back in 2011, and hasn't picked it back up again since used Chantix to help her quit. I should warn you, that both my parents used Chantix, and both experienced night terrors that were very vivid and frightening. My mom stuck it out, it scared my dad too much, and he gave up on Chantix. He quit cold turkey back in 2016, before picking it back up again this summer.

RacerXero84 likes this.
  9. RacerXero84

Yeah.... I've already been more or less barred from using Chantix as a method. Doc ruled that out from the get go, said probably not the smartest thing for a guy with my background to use (let's just say Iraq wasn't the resort location my recruiter said it would be) lol

10. Tetronix

Tetronix Well-Known Member

I'm not a smoker, don't plan on it, but watching my mom stop smoking - she tried herbal cigarettes (less nicotine and other chemical shit, I think) and just tried to cut back using those. I don't recall what brand they were or where she got them, but I'm going home tonight and I can ask her when I arrive. Being with her when she smoked them, they smelled a little unpleasant but I think that's why she started smoking less of them.

EDIT: She also used some e-cigs as well, but not as much as she used the herbal cigs. I don't think they were too effective for her.

11. Chandler Tyson

Chandler Tyson Runnin' Down a Dream Paint Crew

C5EF6D57-4961-4F14-98F2-560F181D63AE.jpeg Check out my new desk setup! It’s still a WIP, but it looks freaking amazing. Going for a Black/red with a little bit of white color scheme.

I have some more acoustic foam panels that I need to put up I just don’t feel like doing it right now, lol.

I plan on buying a couple of shelves to put above the monitors that I will put some diecast on, which will probably be Chase and Dale jr cars.

Speaking of monitors, I plan on upgrading to 2 27 inch 4K monitors from LG. Current monitor is a 24 inch 1920 x 1080 Acer.

The PC is also getting upgraded. A new black/red case from NZXT will house the components which will be pretty good. The following comoponents will be upgraded:
    RAM: 8gb ddr4 2133 upgraded to 16gb 2400
    GPU: GTX 950 2gb upgraded to PowerColor Radeon RX 580 8gb

Debating on upgrading to the i7 8700k.Not sure if I’ll do it or not since I’ll need a new mobo. Currently I have an i5 7600k.

12. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

Oh... great... they took the one thing I liked about Chevrolet, other than the Camero.... and fucked it up.
    Where'd you get those? And what's the red lighting coming from?

joeykraus19 likes this.
  13. Chandler Tyson

14. EarnhardtFan

EarnhardtFan Residential Twitch Addict

Both of my parents are former-ish smokers, my mom has picked it back up a handful of times throughout the years and my dad has a couple cigars a week. I know may mom absolutely loves her vape, I don't know if she puts nicotine in it though, and one of my aunts seems pretty fond of her e-cig so I would say those are both ok substitutes if you go for the good models (i.e. not a Juul) plus some of the flavors smell amazing.

15. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Well-Known Member

If you haven't already, look into ultrawide monitors too. I really love them.

Setup is looking great though!

Chandler Tyson and RacerXero84 like this.
  16. RacerXero84

This. Cannot. Be. Understated.

Also, I do believe 2019 is going to be a good year for ultrawide UHD monitors, with no less than 3 brands putting out models with flat screens and curved options in the 4K and 5K range. I was going to leave my LG 2560x1080 ultrawides and go with a standard 16:9 4K.... but the extra real estate provided by my 21:9's has proven invaluable. So I'm holding out.

17. Chandler Tyson

Doing some research right now I'm looking at this 34 inch 3440 x 1440 21:9 from LG and its right in my price range: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC88-B-ultrawide-monitor
    I think I'm gonna get it, but I do have a question though.
    I obviously do a lot of painting and thus have a lot of reference pics open for the paint I'm working on. Currently, I have to switch back and forth between Photoshop and my browser (chrome) and its really annoying. Although I have tried photoshop and chrome in windowed mode on my 24 inch, its just way too small for me.

Will I be able to have two windows, one with my browser and one with photoshop, open at basically full screen on an ultrawide?

18. Darren Ingram

Darren Ingram Well-Known Member

I think you should be good. Essentially, you’ll have two 1720x1440 windows if you split them evenly, and that’s a pretty decent chunk of real estate.

And if you don’t wanna set them evenly, there’s programs out there that will let you snap to, for example, one window getting 2/3 of the screen and another getting 1/3, etc.

Maybe see if a local Best Buy has some ultrawides out and you can just see how it feels to you.

Chandler Tyson likes this.
  19. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

On the subject of rigs, I have been upgrading mine quite a bit over the past month. Got a 43" Samsung 4k UHD monitor(TV), 500gb Samsung Evo SSD for a windows only drive, Noctua cpu fan and heatsink, and just upgraded ram from 16gb(4gbx4) to 32gb(16gbx2)

And last but not least, an LED display with shift lights for sim racing. The shift lights on my G29 are not even noticeable but these led's light up the room(ok not literally but they are bright:))
    47688594_981901148685838_1846897372492201984_n.jpg
    Set up with very simple Arduino chip and code ran through SimHub. SimHub is a really powerful program and has loads of options to configure this board. Best part is I can piggy back off of this board for more displays and lights if I want.

If anyone was thinking about doing this, just do it. It's super simple and is a cool thing to have. In total I spent about $15 for all the parts (Nano, LCD display and breadboard wires)

Now to wait for graphics card prices to go down...

20. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

Got some Boar's Head Black Forest Ham and Ovengold Turkey, a half pound each, for $7.99 the other day at Publix. After having some on a sandwich earlier today, all of my previous deli-style meat experiences have been put into question...

joeykraus19 likes this.