1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Your Random Thought

Discussion in 'General Community Discussion' started by MattyO, Dec 19, 2014.

1. David24

David24 Paint Crew Paint Crew

Yeah if you can, go to school. Getting a decent paying job with an actual future and career requires education. Otherwise when they see you just have a Diploma or GED you're just a dumb fuck to most employers unfortunately.

I feel ya though, I wish I had the guts to pack up and move away and start a new life. I know a few people who have done that and it worked out tremendously for them but for me I am just too afraid of the bad that might happen

Tetronix and crazyboy335 like this.
  2. Bitbreaker

Bitbreaker Well-Known Member

It's getting real. This week I did a test-drive with the pre facelifted Jaguar XE and it was just great! Get the car for 24 hrs and free 250 km (round about 150 miles). Acceleration of it was awesome, and this test car only had 200hp, the car I want has 250hp. Now I just had to calculate the financials and if it fits it will be ordered to get it at the start of 2020.

20190723_190226.jpg 20190723_190244.jpg 20190723_190305.jpg

...and yes you do think right. This village is pronounced exactly like him ;).

3. nascarfreak88

nascarfreak88 Sarcasmus pessimus

I feel this. I am actually going through this right now. My current graduate program didn't really work out for me, so I decided a while ago to try one that fits me with people I'd actually like to work with. I found one... in Connecticut... which is on the complete opposite side of the country from where I am right now. I'm starting the drive out there next week, taking with me only what fits in my car.

I'm fortunate enough to ostensibly have my program ready for me (and hence a job), but I'm still fucking terrified about how things could go wrong, particularly since I've never lived that far out of earshot from home. If I were 6 years younger and didn't know what I wanted to do, I would shit my pants at the thought. Props to the people who do that and can manage something excellent out of it, but I could never. Not saying others shouldn't, but it isn't for me if I didn't have a plan set up.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    crazyboy335 likes this.
  4. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

That isn't always true. In fact, going to school in California they acted like you wouldn't get hired at a McDonalds without a degree. When I got out into the real world, I found the exact opposite. There are plenty of good jobs out there that require a degree, but there are plenty of jobs that don't.

Some things to think about regarding school:
    Going to school and getting a degree doesn't automatically mean you will get a good paying job. There are some jobs out there that are so over saturated with graduates looking for a job that there is simply no demand for it. It's best to have a clear idea of what career path you want to follow, if not what specific career you want. This is a mistake that many people make when seeking higher education, and it is a mistake I made as well. If you decide you want to get into a career that has little demand for new applicants, you need to bring something more to the table than just a piece of paper that says you passed a bunch of classes.

You don't have to get a degree right now. This is another thing that drove me crazy, immediately after school you have to go to college. A part of me wonders (mainly because I felt this way after HS) if this is a ploy by many young kids who don't want to join the workforce right away. The truth is though, that even working a menial job while you figure things out will give you time to figure things out, including how to be an adult, because as little as most people admit, HS does not prepare you for adulthood. Get some life experience, and when you are ready to make something of yourself, do it. It may be hard, but again, that is the struggle of life, and if it is what you want, you will figure out a way.

Not going to college doesn't mean you can't make money. There are plenty of jobs out there that don't require a college degree. Many of them are trade jobs, so many of them require that you get your hands dirty. I didn't grow up learning how to work on cars, or how machines work, or how to build things with wood and nails. I grew up like many of you, but I am now a firefighter, learning all of those things for my job. It was a scary thought, getting into a job where I didn't feel like I had the fundamental background. But I learned, and you can too. So what that you learn it later than everyone else, it doesn't mean that you are incapable of learning.

You can be happy not making a lot of money. Everyone acts like they have to find a job where they move up a social class. Money isn't everything, and it isn't impossible to have a happy life or have the things you want with a blue collar job, don't be so afraid of working a normal job. And while we are on this subject, your job doesn't define you. If you are unhappy at a certain job, then it's time to find another job, but it doesn't mean you are a better or worse person because of it.

(OK, rant over).

5. nascarfreak88

This, and I wish this were way more emphasized in high school and more promoted as a society. There are many industries that require trade skills that are suffering from number shortages right now because so many people are going to university. They may not always be the prettiest or most glamorous lines of work, but they do pay very well and are worthwhile.

This x100. I was fortunate enough to know pretty much exactly what I wanted to do (or at least what field I wanted to be in) and know that it required a degree straight out of high school. It was the correct decision for me. But in my time being both a TA and an instructor at a university, as well as being friends with many struggling undergrads, I realize that for a lot of people, university might not be the best thing to do straight out of high school. To be frank, many students are just simply not ready for the work, not mature, don't quite know exactly what type of career they'd like to get into, and most importantly are not ready or prepared to take on the debt that will surely be accrued. From the instructor's side, it is rather disheartening to observe. I would advise anyone, if you're not entirely sure what to do after high school, take a little bit of time, learn how to adult, maybe do some menial jobs and figure stuff out. Maybe it does require a university degree, maybe it doesn't. But I figure it is probably better to take a little bit to realize you need/want to go to college rather than going to college straight away and cycling through majors for too many years trying to figure out what strikes you as something you want to do.

Again, this. As a personal example, I for one will be spending 5 or 6 more years making a salary that is livable, but certainly not elegant while in grad school. After that I'll more than likely pick up a postdoc research fellowship position which in my field will be paying essentially what my hourly salary is now but full time, which still wouldn't be much. It'll be quite a while before I get a tenure-track faculty position, and even then for professors starting out in tenure-track positions in the first couple years, the pay still isn't tremendous. But god damn, I love what I do. Though it can be a financial struggle sometimes, I am and have been since I started in grad school astoundingly ensconced in the research that I do, and I love teaching. There's a lot of added baggage for grad students in terms of being happy, but as far as the actual nature of the work I do, I'm perfectly content with it despite my low income currently (and for the forseeable future). Clearly I'm not in a career trajectory that most people would consider as blue-collar, but hopefully I can illustrate at least a little bit that it is possible to be happy making not so much money.

mtblillie, DaleTona75 and crazyboy335 like this.
  6. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

This doesn't really have to do with all that you were saying... but thank you for what you do

BrendonH12, mtblillie and DaleTona75 like this.
  7. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

I appreciate that, but I'm not looking for thanks. Really it is just another job, and to be quite honest, it is boring most of the time.

8. JeffJordan

JeffJordan My name is no longer Jeff Jordan

I don't use my degree for what I do, professionally. I use the graphic design skills that started with my interested in NR2003 that I developed over time.

Definitely be aware of your marketable skills.

9. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Well I don't care if you're looking for thanks or not, lol. I don't really know what it's like to be a firefighter, and maybe the job is boring 99% of the time, but then the other 1% of the time you could be risking your own life and there's a real chance you might be saving someone else's. Seriously, thank you.

BrendonH12 and mtblillie like this.
  10. JeffJordan

JeffJordan My name is no longer Jeff Jordan

Turning 24 today, hope my Jeff Gordon year goes well.

11. nascarfreak88

Happy birthday! Welcome to the 24 club.

JeffJordan likes this.
  12. Thunder98

Thunder98 Same shit, different day. Admin

You say Jeff, I say Cecil. :p

Welcome to the 24 club.

JeffJordan likes this.
  13. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

Happy birthday, @JeffJordan!
    download.jpg

JeffJordan likes this.
  14. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

JeffJordan likes this.
  15. nascarfreak88

So I'm on my aforementioned cross-country move, and I realized I'll be in Indianapolis during the vintage racing event. Tickets are cheap, might as well go see some classic cars, retro drivers, and the IMS museum. I'm stoked!

16. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

So I'd like some help please. I'm gearing up to run my league's All-Star Race very soon and each season we do a "Fan Vote" similar to the real All-Star Fan Vote. If ya'll could take a few moments to vote for a few of the eligible drivers (and vote several times so it's competitive) that would be super awesome. Multiple entries and selecting more than one or two at a time is encouraged! Here's the link :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    BrendonH12 and joeykraus19 like this.
  17. joeykraus19

joeykraus19 Well-Known Member

just an fyi I can select multiple at once idk if that's good or not

nascarfan9 likes this.
  18. nascarfan9

Yes, that is exactly how it's intended to be, and it should allow for multiple attempts as well! :)

joeykraus19 likes this.
  19. 4WideRacing

4WideRacing Well-Known Member

I had to go Incognito to vote a 2nd time, but it did allow me to

nascarfan9 likes this.
  20. nascarfan9

Found the option to allow for multiple responses and turned it back on. Should be good now.