5.00 star(s) 3 ratings
Downloads
Updated

2418 Fan Customs on Facebook

Slipster17

"Terrifying Cones Since 1983"
SRD Member
Reaction score

Anyone familiar with them? Run across them before? One of their products came up in an Ebay search I just did that has me VERY interested to learn more.......

HMMMMMMMMM....... well THAT looks familiar......

243120_088e0dc40edfbad2b7818b1de901796a.jpg

Don't out them yet - I'm playing coy to learn a little more about them

Slipster17

SRD Member
Reaction score
As a side note - I went through my various NR2k3 postings and sites and the only place I ever posted the flats they obviously used was right here in the render requests section.

Be on the lookout for any of your own original work.

Slipster17

SRD Member
Reaction score
According to him, he does custom diecests but doesn't do his own decals. Says he gets them from suppliers. Says this set came from a guy who runs a website called Pattos Place?

Steven Merzlak

#50in07
SRD Member
Reaction score
Says this set came from a guy who runs a website called Pattos Place?

Patto has been doing this for well over a decade. Hell, some of my stuff is on there. Lots of people have tried to get him to stop ripping their stuff, but nothing has stopped him yet.

Slipster17

SRD Member
Reaction score

Patto has been doing this for well over a decade. Hell, some of my stuff is on there. Lots of people have tried to get him to stop ripping their stuff, but nothing has stopped him yet.
Well.... imitation is the most sincere form of flattery? I guess I'm flattered? lmao

But - JESUS CHRIST MAN.... his website is almost un-navigable! It's literally like a website circa 1997.....

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
SRD Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even try to legally get him shut down. See if you can get a deal instead like for every thing of yours he rips you are entitled to a free decal sheet or something lol. Either he stops doing it because he can't afford to or you can make your own models of your schemes :p

Slipster17

SRD Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even try to legally get him shut down. See if you can get a deal instead like for every thing of yours he rips you are entitled to a free decal sheet or something lol. Either he stops doing it because he can't afford to or you can make your own models of your schemes :p

Hell, I don't particularly care if it's just that one - although I should check the others I've posted for render requests.

I'd be cool if he just added an "artwork by....." to the page.

Cummins07

SRD Member
Reaction score
This is where I do not agree. This individual is selling die cast with your paint and making profit, while you earn nothing. That is stealing. Now, if he gives you a share for every diecast sold, then things should be squared away. What the guy is doing is the equivalent of me trying to make profit of converiting the CWS15 models to BeamNG.drive (a video game) and selling it as if I created it (when I'm stealing Smoke and the people who helped create the truck models). That is not good. It should stop.

Slipster17

SRD Member
Reaction score
This is where I do not agree. This individual is selling die cast with your paint and making profit, while you earn nothing. That is stealing. Now, if he gives you a share for every diecast sold, then things should be squared away. What the guy is doing is the equivalent of me trying to make profit of converiting the CWS15 models to BeamNG.drive (a video game) and selling it as if I created it (when I'm stealing Smoke and the people who helped create the truck models). That is not good. It should stop.
I'm not worried about the guy selling the diecast - he's innocent in this matter. He had no idea the decals he purchased were not original designs. He thought they looked cool and made a custom diecast with them - I can't really fault him for that.

I do intent to email Pattos, for what it's worth, but I'm not sure what that will get me.

DaleTona75

Unhealthily Obsessed With Backmarkers
SRD Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if say someone DOES manage to shut Patto's down, the entire 1/64 scale custom community would basically be screwed, back to the days where you paid $30-$40 for the few people who make decal sheets in the 1/64 scale.

I'd say almost every major custom maker, bar 2 or 3 who have the ability to make their own, use decals sourced through him, due to a mixture of selection and quality. So shutting him down would just put a grinding halt to an entire cottage industry, atleast unless someone else steps up to provide the decals for the low cost and high quality that is available.

I don't condone the theft of others work, but I also don't want to see one of my other favorite NASCAR related hobbies be FUBAR'd

Lastlap

SRD Member
Reaction score
I had a Publix DELI logo ripped & turned into a decal sheet for a fictional Travis Kvapil car. It's on ebay.

:D

Slipster17

SRD Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if say someone DOES manage to shut Patto's down, the entire 1/64 scale custom community would basically be screwed, back to the days where you paid $30-$40 for the few people who make decal sheets in the 1/64 scale.

I'd say almost every major custom maker, bar 2 or 3 who have the ability to make their own, use decals sourced through him, due to a mixture of selection and quality. So shutting him down would just put a grinding halt to an entire cottage industry, atleast unless someone else steps up to provide the decals for the low cost and high quality that is available.

I don't condone the theft of others work, but I also don't want to see one of my other favorite NASCAR related hobbies be FUBAR'd
The amusing part of this is that the decal sheet I bought off ebay a few years back to draw the year 2000 #75 Scooby Doo car is Pattos quality..... so I probably took a set of decals he scanned off a diecast and put them BACK onto a sim racer which he has probably since seen. TAKE THAT!

But seriously though - I don't particularly care that he wanted to use my design as the basis for a decal set - I just would have liked some footnote acknowledgment.

matheus357

Just passing by...
SRD Member
Reaction score
He's even stolen some of my content, quite surprisingly lol

DaleTona75

Unhealthily Obsessed With Backmarkers
SRD Member
Reaction score
The amusing part of this is that the decal sheet I bought off ebay a few years back to draw the year 2000 #75 Scooby Doo car is Pattos quality..... so I probably took a set of decals he scanned off a diecast and put them BACK onto a sim racer which he has probably since seen. TAKE THAT!

But seriously though - I don't particularly care that he wanted to use my design as the basis for a decal set - I just would have liked some footnote acknowledgment.
If the sheet you had was in 1/24 or 1/25 scale, it probably came from somewhere else, as there are many quality decal makers in that scale, such as slixx, powerslide, 3amigos etc.

Making 1/24-1/25 stuff is easy, since there is a large demand and supply for decals in that scale, for both diecast and plastic/resin models. For 1/64 not so much, as it is very much a niche within a niche (much like American Oval SimRacing).

Slipster17

SRD Member
Reaction score
If the sheet you had was in 1/24 or 1/25 scale, it probably came from somewhere else, as there are many quality decal makers in that scale, such as slixx, powerslide, 3amigos etc.

Making 1/24-1/25 stuff is easy, since there is a large demand and supply for decals in that scale, for both diecast and plastic/resin models. For 1/64 not so much, as it is very much a niche within a niche (much like American Oval SimRacing).
It was more the fact that when I purchased this set of decals I had the option of getting it printed in anything between 1/64 and 1/18.

Sam over at 3Amigos is an awesome guy BTW. I'm actually in talks with him to have some 1/24 scale sets of a few of my sim cars printed!

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
SRD Member
Reaction score
Likewise people use renders of these models to sell their paint schemes to racing teams, though that tends to be of a larger aggravation to the model makers than the community as a whole