5.00 star(s) 3 ratings
Downloads
Updated

A couple of observations:

thunderbolt

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year the announcement came regarding the change in admin management here at SRD
I suggested at that time they post a New or existing ROC (rules of conduct) This was neither done nor replied to.
So, we are then left to figure it by example; what they condone or endorse.

Here's what I've learned so far:

1/ Public "bashing" of anyone posts / creations is perfectly fine, and in fact endorsed by at least 2 of the admin staff here.
Duly noted.

2/ It is also perfectly fine to post someone else's work on your site; even prior to obtaining permission from the creator of said work to do so.
(I am referring to the freecam utility which was posted for D/L BEFORE the creator even knew what they did?)
Again, duly noted.

What other practices may or may not come next is difficult to say.
I guess we wait and see.

Alan Harkleroad

SRD Site Administrator
Reaction score
Earlier this year the announcement came regarding the change in admin management here at SRD
I suggested at that time they post a New or existing ROC (rules of conduct) This was neither done nor replied to.
So, we are then left to figure it by example; what they condone or endorse.

Here's what I've learned so far:

1/ Public "bashing" of anyone posts / creations is perfectly fine, and in fact endorsed by at least 2 of the admin staff here.
Duly noted.

2/ It is also perfectly fine to post someone else's work on your site; even prior to obtaining permission from the creator of said work to do so.
(I am referring to the freecam utility which was posted for D/L BEFORE the creator even knew what they did?)
Again, duly noted.

What other practices may or may not come next is difficult to say.
I guess we wait and see.

1. We have never condoned theft, or copying someones work. Not in the 10 years I have been doing this here. We have always called out people who steal, lift, or otherwise take from anothers work to claim credit for them selves.
That being said posting a utility for the use of the community is not what I would call stealing if it is freely available. I personally would have posted a link to the source of the tool and then hosted it here locally if provided consent from said creator.

2. What do you constitute as bashing? Did someone hurt your feelings with constructive criticism?
I dont see constructive criticism of an individuals work as bashing. Calling something pure shit without any feedback of ways to improve would be bashing.
On the other hand tearing someones work apart into ways it can be improved is not bashing. You may want it to have some polish on it, but thats not required etiquette. The requirement here at SRD has long been that to be hear you have to have thick skin and be open to feedback. If you cant handle that you probably shouldnt be here.
Their are some extremely talented people that have been a part of this sites staff, and are still members today as well as fellow members who are extremely talented. A lot can be learned from them. But they wont spoon feed you and certainly are not going to stroke your ego. We sure didnt stroke theirs. And no one stroked mine. I learned all the time. I tried to do at least one thing better with each paint, logo, number whatever.

Everyone I know of that has ever gotten great at this and moved onto work for teams, gaming companies all started at the bottom and took lots of heat when they did stuff wrong and lots of praise as they improved. But they got to where they are because they continue to hone their craft and take some pride in their work. Their is nothing wrong with doing what your doing and posting your work with your best effort. But you should see an improvement in your quality of work over time. Always be learning, its not ok to just stand still and be apathetic with this hobby in my personal opinion. If you want help there are numerous resources, IMO there is no viable reason for someone to do poorly. There are to many tutorials, and resources available to make your self better.

MattyO

Ratioed
Owner
Reaction score
Again, duly noted.
I was doing everyone a favor asshole.

https://stunodracing.net/index.php <<<that place is just waiting on ya. You'll fit in perfectly there.

thunderbolt

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
1. We have never condoned theft, or copying someones work. Not in the 10 years I have been doing this here. We have always called out people who steal, lift, or otherwise take from anothers work to claim credit for them selves.
That being said posting a utility for the use of the community is not what I would call stealing if it is freely available. I personally would have posted a link to the source of the tool and then hosted it here locally if provided consent from said creator.

2. What do you constitute as bashing? Did someone hurt your feelings with constructive criticism?
I dont see constructive criticism of an individuals work as bashing. Calling something pure shit without any feedback of ways to improve would be bashing.
On the other hand tearing someones work apart into ways it can be improved is not bashing. You may want it to have some polish on it, but thats not required etiquette. The requirement here at SRD has long been that to be hear you have to have thick skin and be open to feedback. If you cant handle that you probably shouldnt be here.
Their are some extremely talented people that have been a part of this sites staff, and are still members today as well as fellow members who are extremely talented. A lot can be learned from them. But they wont spoon feed you and certainly are not going to stroke your ego. We sure didnt stroke theirs. And no one stroked mine. I learned all the time. I tried to do at least one thing better with each paint, logo, number whatever.

Everyone I know of that has ever gotten great at this and moved onto work for teams, gaming companies all started at the bottom and took lots of heat when they did stuff wrong and lots of praise as they improved. But they got to where they are because they continue to hone their craft and take some pride in their work. Their is nothing wrong with doing what your doing and posting your work with your best effort. But you should see an improvement in your quality of work over time. Always be learning, its not ok to just stand still and be apathetic with this hobby in my personal opinion. If you want help there are numerous resources, IMO there is no viable reason for someone to do poorly. There are to many tutorials, and resources available to make your self better.
Alan: So as I stated, apparently it is ok to post someone else's work without permission.
Because that is in fact what your buddy did, Did you even read the thread before you responded?
I also offered to host the BUT only if the guy who made it approved. Big difference in my book. But I guess we all have our own sense of what is ok and what is not.

Re constructive criticism. Again I ask, did you even read the damn thread. He starts out by stating plainly it was (and I quote)
"not intended as constructive criticism" end quote.
So therefore, I took it as it was intended. A slam, a bash, a flame call it whatever word you like. He then proceeded to tell what what I should do, followed by a repeat "again, not intended as constructive criticism" For a site that claims to support and encourage those learning how to paint, not exactly quite the route I would suggest.
But hey, its your site, so carry on.

Now you also need to understand, I'm not angry at Matt. Check my profile; I've been around here for 15 years. I know exactly who and what Matt is. He can't help himself. I'm just surprised it took him this long. And believe me when I say, it won't be the last time he behaves as such. Today me; tomorrow or next week someone else.

In closing, I have suggested (3rd time now) you or one of the moderators delete my thread (s) I have deleted any and all links to images or downloads. Any that remain will expire at some point or other.

Enjoy your day.

EarnhardtFan

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
This is not meant to be constructive. But hopefully what I am about to say will open your eyes so you can work on your craft.

This car is horrifying. There's just no other way to say it.

First issue, you've got 3 different shades of red on this car. And none of the shades of red look good. You've got red in your numbers. A different red in the Texaco logo, and a different shade of red for your base. The red base almost looks pink in some areas. Change the red base color. I would also try adding something to the base instead of just a solid color. Break up that red!

Second issue, your numbers...... First, you should move the 2 & the 7 closer together. And for the love of god ditch the yellow outline. If you insist on using that god awful shade of yellow, at least make the outline thinner. That's another issue with your numbers, the outline is far too thick. Also, the roof number size is way too small. The door number size is ok, but it probably could be a little taller.

Your logo's......jesus christmas christ.....First, the hood logo needs to be replaced or reworked so that there isn't a red star if you are going to continue to use a red base. The Texaco lettering in the logo I just noticed is another shade of red. Fuck sakes, that makes 4 different shades of red on this car. Change that to white or black. I would also throw an outline around the hood logo. And resize it so it's smaller. It's far too big.

Lose the Ford Racing logo next to the door numbers. I can't even read it. I only know it's Ford Racing because well, I've seen that logo a time or two. If you are going to use it, change the color of it so people can read what it says. And throw a white outline around it too. Or some kind of outline depending on what color you change the logo to.

Ditch the Ford Racing logo on the rear QP's. It's too big, and it's repetitive. 2 different Ford racing logo's on the same car? I just noticed another shade of red on that logo.....we're up to 5 different shades of red now!

The Havoline logo seems to be fine. It's the best looking thing on the car.

That brings us to the rear. It's far too busy back there. The Texaco logo on the rear tail light decal looks good. 2nd best thing on the car. The rest needs to go, besides the number. Do I see a tribal tattoo behind the Ford logo? For fuck sakes man, a tribal tattoo design on a car? It's 2021, not 1991.

Again, this isn't meant to be constructive. Quite frankly, this is one of the most horrifying designs I've ever seen in the history of SRD, and you managed to do that without even doing anything with the base other than use 1 color.

I think if you changed the numbers, brought them closer together, and changed the colors, that's a huge start. Then start working on your logos. One at a time, and take your time. This car looks like it was done in 5 minutes. Take a week to paint a car. At least a few days. Put the time in. It'll look that much better if you do.

Or else get used to these sort of comments.
Not that anyone is asking for my input, but is this the post this guy is complaining about? IMO it’s a tad much but I wouldn’t consider it “bashing”, in fact, I think Matt makes some really good points and gives some real solid advice here.

I think you’re overreacting a bit bud.

thunderbolt

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Not whining Matt; just stating my viewpoint.
Leaving? No. Not planning to. Although I did see your suggestion of an alternate place to go. I'm already there and have been for 3 years.
But I have zero intention of maintaining a thread here or there for any purpose.
I mean, what's the point .... right?
I continue to paint / create cars. I'll just keep 'em to myself so you can maintain your level of whatever you consider to be worthy.

I do have one honest question for you though. with zero animosity attached.
It was you who suggested I start a showroom in the first place. So I am curious. if my stuff is so bad, then why?
Makes no sense to me.

For the record, I hold no malice towards you or anyone else here. I truly don't.
I do this NR2003 stuff for fun, and refuse to get too caught up in any feuds, arguments, or whatever. I mean, come on, at the end of the day it's a flippin' video game / sim. I'm a big picture kinda guy, and this thing has about a 1% rating on my priority list. Maybe it affects my painting skills; I don't know and it truly doesn't matter to me. It's a hobby; not a life.

I fully realize my painting skills are nowhere near the level of so many others. I posted what I was doing as I felt I had (at least to some degree) had gotten better. I started, what, last October, not having even attempted to make a car since 1997. Never had any interest until this year to do so. When I wanted a personal ride, I was always very fortunate to find someone who would gladly help me out. I just got to the point where I didn't want to ask anyone for help. I'm a bit of an independant cuss. Same reason I refuse to ask for NXS20 renders from you or anyone else.
If I can't do it, then Ill learn to live without it.

I am not easily intimidated or put off by critique or comments that don't happen to align with mine.
But that said, I also don't roll over either.

Take a shot, expect one back.

Anyway, let's put this damn thing to rest shall we. The ugly cars are gone.
And in all sincerity, I do wish you and the staff well.
I'll be around.

thunderbolt

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Not that anyone is asking for my input, but is this the post this guy is complaining about? IMO it’s a tad much but I wouldn’t consider it “bashing”, in fact, I think Matt makes some really good points and gives some real solid advice here.

I think you’re overreacting a bit bud.
OK. but kind of irrelevant at this point. Keep reading

MattyO

Ratioed
Owner
Reaction score
You're exhausting dude.

Either continue to whine and make more posts about how you've been wronged by my critiques. Or you can do something about it.